Saturday, March 28, 2015

Briefly about Indiana, generally I like living here. It's cheap and relatively peaceful, and is a good place to study and write. The landscape around where I live is relatively flat, but there are some hills and valleys to hike through, and the Wabash is constantly changing throughout the year. Sometimes the river is high and flooding, sometimes low and calm, and sometimes frozen and full of geometric chunks of ice on their way down river. The food here isn't so great, but I've come to appreciate the biscuits and gravy, and the  fresh apples, and the rich and meaty bar food. I'm not much of a cook these days anyway, but the eggs are good quality and the milk doesn't taste bad. Around where I live the community is surprisingly diverse, and generally I've had positive interactions with most of the people I come into contact with, both at school and around where I live. Politically however, Indiana is different than anyplace I've ever lived, and though the cost of living is cheap (and one of the cheapest places in the country to buy a house), as is the price of food, the recent law passed by Governor Pence that allows businesses to refuse service to same sex couples is kind of gross, and more than a little backwards. It's embarrassing to live in a state that passes laws like this, and makes me want to leave as soon as I possibly can.