Sunday, September 29, 2013

Liz told me to be careful, not to assume that other people shared the same beliefs and assumptions as me. When I told Professor Peterson that I wanted to be a poet he recommend that I find a rich woman to marry. Steven said that love transforms, and my mom told me that a person should do everything they can if they love someone. Kawabata wrote that a slender neck on a young woman is a sign she has never been in love, but a long hair on the left eyebrow of an older man is a sign of a long life. The Bible (Ephesians 4:26) says not to let the sun go down on our anger, and CD said to put our anger into our work.

When I was a kid my dad told me that if you become an expert on one thing, no matter how trivial, you will be successful. Nate told me about a person he knew who made a living selling antique cast iron sandwich presses. Aaron told me to be direct. Stacy told me there was nothing more that I could do for my cat, and my landlord told me that there was nothing to be done about the enamel on the bathtub. Katy asked me why I needed confirmation to make a decision and I'm still thinking about her question. Susan told me that I didn't have to follow him.

Lacan identified the central inquiry of obsessives as "Am I real?" Goenka said just observe. John Cage wrote that if you're tired, go to sleep and John Locke wrote that we should learn to follow the tendencies of our minds. My uncle told me I should get out of California, most everybody tells me to get on with my life. Advice is the worst vice, said the man playing the devil in a movie, and that same summer in Oregon I got a job at a factory because that was all there was. If you dream it you can achieve it, said the Jesse Jackson quote printed on card stock. Bob used Know Thyself as part of his email signature. Michael said we can recognize the truth by what still has the power to shock us. Thalia said "It's hard to be ready."