Sunday, August 15, 2010

On Friday morning my sister called and told me that that the care facility in central Wisconsin had called to tell her that my father had gotten a fever and had lost his ability to swallow. How the two problems relate to each other I don't know. The question my sister had for me, and my brother who she called just before, was the question of giving approval or disapproval for a feeder tube. We unanimously said "No. There's no point to keeping him alive in the condition he's in." His main nurse was off for the weekend so they said let's wait and see. Maybe the fever will pass and he'll get his swallow back. On Saturday night my sister wrote an email reporting that my dad had swallowed around 340 ccs of liquid. We'll know more on Monday when the nurse comes back. It's been a difficult weekend.