Wednesday, September 09, 2009

...have been enjoying Pitchfork's reviews (9/8 & 9/9 & 9/10) of the recently re-released/re-mastered (whatever) Beatles' albums that are being hyped in accord with the new Rock Band Video Game (no comment)...The reviews are interesting! They're more like mini-essays! Reminds me that I still haven't ever really listened to the Beatles asides from the fact that pretty much every single one of their songs has been played in movies and television and on my father's and friend's stereo throughout my entire lifespan. There was a mix tape that my dad always used to play driving us around in a boxy eighties Camry that had "Eleanor Rigby" (a.k.a. all the lonely people) on it, and as a little kid I didn't really get the lyrics but I did like the song, the strings. In retrospect it seems odd that this mix tape had this and other perfectly lovely but love troubled songs on it such as Diana Ross and the Supreames' "Someday We'll Be Together" and that Roy Orbison song where he sings (in his big beautiful voice) i'm lonely, I'm Lonely, I'M LONEEEEE-LY. Using my 2009 analytical mind I would classify this tape as a break-up sad song mix tape. Why did he keep playing this when we were in the car? Don't get me wrong, I love all that music, but if I were to make a break-up sad song mix tape I'd probably keep it mostly to myself. But I guess that's one way my dad and I are different. Anyway,

All that is to say, it's interesting to read about the Beatles' music, rather than their personalities or fans or as figureheads of an American counter-cultural movement. It's interesting to read about their albums and song writing. It's interesting to put all those familiar songs into a different context. It's kind of like putting a cat into a laundry basket, or a marble into a guitar. Have a wonderful day. I'm back on the Internet after a month off. The semester started last week.